Stuck inside on a rainy day or waiting out the heat of summer in the air conditioning? You are going to love these fun activities to do at home with your kids and partner.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
These activities are a great way to keep your kids busy if you’re trying to get some work done.
Whether your kiddos are toddlers or teens, these activities and the printables you’ll find at the end of the post will encourage quality family time together.
Keep reading to get some great inspiration on ways to use your time productively while you’re at home this summer.
How to Spend Time by Yourself at Home
It is so important to care for yourself mentally and emotionally, even if it’s just a few minutes every day. Research shows that getting plenty of rest, incorporating healthy habits like meditation and yoga, and practicing self-care through positive affirmations and mantras is important to keeping up with your mental health.
- Lay down for an afternoon nap –– put your partner on kid duty!
- Read a chapter of your favorite book every evening. See this book list for mom entrepreneurs.
- Treat yourself to a relaxing manicure or pedicure (or both).
- Play a YouTube yoga video and follow along in your living room.
- Binge a few episodes of the next Netflix show on your list.
- Use Headspace or Calm to practice guided meditation.
- Try out a new craft like making paper flowers or a mini zen garden. Bonus: You can make money from the crafts you make!
- Bake cookies, cupcakes, or another sweet treat to enjoy.
- Download a coloring app on your smartphone and color your stress away.
- Take a leisurely stroll around your neighborhood.
- Draw a hot bath with essential oils to unwind.
- Go through your clothes and donate old clothes to charity or sell them!
- Do a jigsaw puzzle or crossword.
- Break out the kids’ art supplies and make your masterpiece.
- Do some retail therapy with online shopping.
- Challenge yourself to a game of Solitaire.
- Learn a new language with Duolingo.
- Try a home improvement task or spice up your furniture with some paint.
- Redecorate a room (or your whole house) to mix things up.
- Watch some knitting videos online and try making yourself some socks.
- Listen to a true crime podcast like Crime Junkie.
- Clean up your computer’s files and email inbox.
- Create a list of 5-year goals you hope to achieve.
- Start a bullet journal or planner to keep yourself organized.
- Find online volunteer opportunities or donate to charity.
How to Spend Time With Your Kids at Home
Use this time with your kids to do something fun! Whether you love family board game tournaments or watching movies together, there’s plenty of great ways to enjoy your time together at home.
If you’re tired of hearing “I’m bored” every five minutes, these ideas will work wonders!
- Host a family board game tournament with Monopoly or Sorry!
- Play indoor hide and seek –– no peeking if you’re “it!”
- Try out new crafts like homemade slime or paint by numbers. Sell them later!
- Collect some old t-shirts to tie-dye or fabric paint.
- Draw your family tree on poster board or butcher paper.
- Have a campout in the living room with a tent or blanket fort.
- Create a scavenger hunt complete with clues.
- Take a virtual visit of the animals at the San Diego Zoo.
- Bring out the Halloween costumes and play dress up.
- Play “I Spy” with things around the house or in your backyard.
- Use the printable template to make easy paper airplanes.
- Make homemade playdough with flour, vegetable oil, and water.
- Host a tea party with stuffed animals or pets as guests.
- Have a pizza party and ice cream for dessert.
- Make an entire city or your house out of Legos.
- Make DIY jewelry out of things like dry pasta, beads, or string.
- Take out some instruments (or make your own) and host a concert.
- Create a playlist and have a family dance party or dance-off.
- Watch old family films together –– no crying, parents!
- Create silly TikTok videos together.
- Organize a talent show and take turns being the judge.
- Set up an indoor obstacle course or mini golf course.
- Have a karaoke night and sing your hearts out.
How to Spend Time With Your Love at Home
There are plenty of ways to keep having fun together, even if you don’t leave the house. Keep that spark alive with the ideas below and enjoy time with your partner!
- Set up a romantic picnic on your patio or living room floor –– don’t forget the wine!
- Create a four course meal together, complete with charcuterie board and dessert.
- Put on your best night-out clothes and have a candlelit dinner.
- Research your dream destinations and put together a bucket list for the future.
- Challenge each other to a game like chess, poker, or Monopoly.
- Make popcorn and enjoy a night of movies together.
- Watch each other’s favorite movies –– take turns!
- Stream a play or opera online and pretend you’re at the theater.
- Make s’mores by roasting marshmallows over the fireplace or stove.
- Make homemade body scrubs and treat yourselves to a spa day.
- Stream a couple’s exercise routine on YouTube.
- Plan a themed date night based on international cuisines.
- Write cheesy love notes to each other.
- Make a breakfast feast, then get back in bed to eat!
- Play video games together and compete for the high score.
- Set up a virtual double date with your closest couple friends.
- Virtually tour a museum or haunted house, like the Winchester Mystery House.
- Have a wine tasting night with wines from around the world.
- Play a romantic game of Truth or Dare.
- Make up a drinking game to play along with your favorite TV show or movie.
And if you are looking for romantic things to do with your spouse at home, check out my favorite at-home date ideas to spice up your marriage.
But don’t feel limited by the items on this list –– use them as inspiration to get creative and come up with your own ways to stay busy and entertained while at home!
Having fun isn’t about expensive movie theaters or trips to the zoo. It’s about spending time with those you love and enjoying each other’s company! Whether you’re at home with little ones, a partner, or by yourself, there are plenty of ways to have fun at home.
Coupon Chief made a set of printables you can use to help you too! Check out the printables here.
- 10 Best Productivity Planners in 2023 (you absolutely need one!) - January 16, 2023
- Is freelance writing worth it? 10+ benefits that say yes - January 6, 2023
- 10 Best Clothes For Apron Belly - December 5, 2022