Are you already selling on Poshmark and not making any money yet?
Or maybe you’ve simply heard about the “lucrative” cloth-selling app and want in on the action.
Either way, this post is for you!
Poshmark is a platform where you can sell unused clothing and jewelry items for profit all from the comfort of your home.
No doubt, selling on Poshmark can be a lucrative work-from-home hustle for moms. We’ve seen top sellers pull in as much as $1 Million revenue within their first two years of selling on Poshmark.
Take Suzanne Canon who pulled in $1 million in sales on the app in 2018 for instance.
This is proof that if you put in the work and do it right, you can make enough money to support you and your family just from selling on Poshmark.
While we can’t really help with the “put in the work” part, we can show you how to do it right. And we’ll do so in this article.
- What Is Poshmark?
- How Does Poshmark Work?
- How To Create A Listing On PoshMark?
- How To Delete a listing on poshmark – Android?
- What can you sell on poshmark?
- Where To Get Clothes To Sell On Poshmark?
- How Do I Get Paid On Poshmark?
- How To Get More Followers On Poshmark?
- What Percentage Does Poshmark Take?
- Why Sell On Poshmark App?
- 22 Simple Poshmark Tips For More Sales
- Poshmark Ultimate Sales Funnel: How To Sell on Poshmark Fast
- Final Thoughts
Side Note: Check out our list of at home jobs for moms if you are looking for more ideas to help you make up to $10,000/m from home.
What Is Poshmark?
Poshmark is an online marketplace where people buy and sell new or used clothing and jewelries from boutiques or their own closets. Since Poshmark launched in 2011, it has widely grown into a global community of five million sellers and now more.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
In May 2011, the company announced it had paid out $1 billion to its community of sellers so far!
How Does Poshmark Work?
It’s pretty straightforward technially.
- Join Poshmark
- List your items
- Make Sales
How To Join Poshmark?
To get started on Poshmark, you first create an account and set up your profile.
You can also download the Posh app—it’s free and available for iPhone and Android.
Now that you have signed up and are ready to start your journey with Poshmark, I think you’ll find selling on Poshmark interesting.
Here, I’ll share with you how it works, it is as simple as following these three steps
Step 1: List Your Item.
The first step is finding an item in your closet that you love but just don’t use anymore.
For example, it could be a dress you wore to a wedding once, a bedding set that still has tags on it, jewelry from an ex that just needs to go, sneakers that were always a tad too small.
Then, list them for sale on Poshmark! It’s easy and free.
You will learn how to create a listing below. Keep reading…
Step 2: Ship Your Item – How To Ship On poshmark?
There is no need to wonder “how does poshmark shipping work?”
Let’s assume you now make a sale, Poshmark will send you a pre-paid pre-addressed shipping label.
All you have to do is print it out, package up the item, adhere the label and drop it off at the corner mailbox (if it fits) or at the nearest Post Office.
No stamps, no hassle!
Step 3: Earn Cash.
Boom! Now you have made a couple of sales and are ready to get your paycheck on Poshmark.
You can withdraw your earnings from Poshmark anytime…for free!
Deposit your money directly into your checking account, request a check, or use the cash to purchase directly on Poshmark. You choose.
How To Create A Listing On PoshMark?
How Do I List an Item? Listing on Poshmark is simple and free. You can absolutely start your closet today with the following steps!
There are two ways to list an item on your Poshmark Boutique, in the app or web.
Using The App
Step 1: Tap On The ‘Sell’ Button In The App.
Step 2: Take A New Photo Or Upload An Existing Photo Of The Item You Wish To Sell.
Pro Tip: You can upload up to 8 photos, and more than one photo at a time!
Step 3: Then, Take A Minute To Give Your Listing A Title, Description, Price, Etc.
Step 4: Share With Friends
When you are done, tap on ‘Next’, share it with your friends if you wish, and then tap on ‘List’. Remember you can as well, edit your list.
Using The Web
STEP 1: login to the app on the web through your browser and click on “Sell on Poshmark” at the top right corner of the screen.
Please be sure that you have recently logged into the app as this is a requirement to create a listing on the web.
STEP 2: Drag your photo into the dotted box on the screen or click on “Upload photos” to upload images from your computer.
You may upload or drag multiple images at a time!
STEP 3: Fill in the required information (description, price, size, etc) and select “Next” to list your item!
How To Delete a listing on poshmark – Android?
In this section, I will teach you how you can delete a Poshmark listing on the Poshmark app. Let’s get straight to it…
Tip! Check out these 17 other high paying apps you could earn money from as a stay-at-home-mom
Step 1: Launch Poshmark App
If you don’t have it installed on your phone, go to Google Appstore and do that.
The Poshmark app has a burgundy icon that has two capital P’s linked together.
Now tap the Poshmark icon on your homescreen or apps drawer to open the Poshmark app.
Note: If you are not automatically signed in, tap Login with Email, enter the email address and password associated with your Poshmark account and tap Login.
You can also tap Login with Facebook, or Sign in with Google.
Step 2: Tap the tab with your username
It’s in the lower-right corner of the app. It has an icon that resembles an ID card above your username. This displays the profile menu. Next is…
Step 3: Tap My Closet
“My Closet” It’s near the top of the profile menu. This displays a list of all the items you are selling.
Note: Sometimes your listings also appear in your main feed.
Step 4: Tap the item you want to delete
This displays the listing details for that item. The items you are selling are listed by name and have an image of the item.
Step 5: Tap Edit
The “Edit” is in the upper-right corner of the Poshmark app. This displays the page you use to edit the listing details.
Step 6: Scroll down and tap Delete Listing
As you scroll down, you will see the red button at the bottom of the page you use to edit the listing details. This displays a confirmation pop-up.
Step 6: Tap Yes
Finally, tab “Yes” It’s in the confirmation pop-up window. This permanently deletes your listing and removes the item from your closet.
What can you sell on poshmark?
You may be thinking of what are the best brands to sell on poshmark. That is a good thought. Well, here are a list of items you can sell on Posh app:
· Men stuff on Poshmark: accessories, bags, clothing, shoes
· Women stuff on Poshmark: accessories, bags, clothing, shoes, makeup, jewelries
· Kids stuff on Poshmark: accessories, bags, clothing, shoes toys
· Home stuff on Poshmark: these vary in categories like accents, bath, bedding, dining, holiday, kitchen, office, party supplies, storage & organization, wall art.
You could also explore this option on the Poshmark website.
Where To Get Clothes To Sell On Poshmark?
Below are a list of ten places to source for clothes at a cheaper rate.
1. Your own house and closet: The best place to start sourcing is your own house. Sometimes you may have a lot of unworn clothes in your closets.
If that’s true for you, your closet is a great place to find items to sell on Poshmark.
2. Thrift stores & outlets: Thrift stores are nice places to find items you can resell because the prices at these stores tend to be low enough that you make a profit when you resell the right items.
3. Family and friends: Family and friends are other great sources of your Poshmark inventory.
If you find out, you have several friends and family members eager to give you their things to sell once you approach them.
4. Unbranded or private label items: another way to source items is to order wholesale lots of either branded (clothes that are sold under the seller’s created brand name.)
unbranded clothing (clothes that only have a size tag in them) and sell them for more online.
You could start your private clothing brand, just buy some good clothes and brand them the way you want and they will sell.
5. Discount retail stores: here are some discount retail stores to go to Last Call, Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. These stores are known for selling new items for a fraction of retail.
6. Liquidation products: liquidated items are those that are often unsold, customer returns, and overstocked items.
As seasons and styles change, companies need to move these unsellable products for new stock. Companies sell them off in bulk at deep discounts to liquidation companies to get rid of them.
You can get these items at a cheaper rate for your Poshmark store.
7. Mystery boxes: Mystery boxes are boxes you purchase without knowing the contents inside. They are popular on Poshmark. They come as a surprise, and in varieties.
You might buy 5 items for $25 or 3 items for $30.
You may be lucky, other sellers stuff a shipping box with many items.
8. Online community groups and websites: A lot of people find items to buy through online community groups, websites, and apps. Here are communities you can find items for sell:
a. Facebook Marketplace
b. Facebook buy, sell, trade groups
9. Sample Sales: this is another option to look into. Before the mass production of clothes for sale, designers and brands make samples of the items.
These items are not bad at all as they adjusted to make them fit better, have more appeal, and/or fit with the designer’s vision. These samples are sold to the public seasons later at sample sales.
Many sample sales include overstocked items, returned items, things that didn’t sell well, etc.
10. Other Sales Outlet (Garage sales, yard sales, estate sales, church sales, & school sales): most people are looking to recover whatever money they can while getting rid of things they don’t want anymore.
You can source heavily from estate sales and garage or yard sales and the best thing about these is that you can negotiate prices.
How Do I Get Paid On Poshmark?
It is one thing to make money online and another to cash your earnings out. Do not fear, with Poshmark, getting your money to your bank account is that easy and simple.
You can withdraw your earnings from Poshmark anytime…for free! Here are the three ways to get your cash out:
· Deposit your money directly into your chequing account.
· Request a cheque. Or
· Use the cash to purchase directly on Poshmark.
Interested in learning other ways you could get paid? Find 20 stay-at-home jobs you never knew paid so well.
How To Get More Followers On Poshmark?
The fastest way to get real followers on Poshmark [2020 Secrets]
- Share other people’s items from the party feed, while the party is going on: How much should you share? Well, it depends on how many followers you want. If you want a few followers, share a few items. If you want thousands of followers, you’re going to need to share thousands of items. All you need to do is share the items in the feed, and then refresh the page to get new items. Over and over again. It’s a lot of work.
- Follow people and get another 10000 chances or so to get some people’s attention: Once you’re done sharing other people’s items, the next thing is to start following other poshers. Following is the second-best way to get more followers on Poshmark because there’s a limit to the number of items you can share in a day (somewhere around 10000).
- Become a Posh Ambassador (Suggested User): I have extensively explained about and how to become a Posh Ambassador in the tips that will help you sell more on posh. and yes, sell more!
What Percentage Does Poshmark Take?
Here’s how Pashmark fees work: For sales under $15, the fee is a single flat rate of $2.95. You keep the rest. For sales of $15 or more, the fee is 20% of the listing price and you keep 80%.
Here’s what you get in return: We handle the financial transaction for you (including paying all those pesky credit card fees), provide you with a pre-paid pre-addressed shipping label, and will serve as your customer support team for your sale.
Why Sell On Poshmark App?
Wondering why you should start using Poshmark? Here are my concrete reasons why you should start selling on Poshmark ASAP:
1. To get rid of unworn clothing that are still in great/good condition to free up space: Got some clothes you’ve not wear them and you are looking for space in your closet?
The best may be to take them out of your closet and sell them on Poshmark.
2. Selling unused items on Poshmark for money: Men and women across the United States are joining the Poshmark craze and selling their clothing online.
Some are even turning it into a full-time job and launching their own boutiques all at the comfort of their aboard.
We recommend it for stay-home moms or working-class moms to start Poshmark as a part-term or long-term business venture to increase their income.
3. Start a Part-Time or Full-Time Job: Looking for a side hustle to bring in more income to the house, then selling on Poshmark is a great idea for you. On the other hand, you can choose to make it you full business and enjoy lucrative profit from it.
4. Get money from old clothing to support the buying of new clothing: when you sell your old clothes on Posh closet, you raise more money to help you replace the old ones.
Looking for a part time job you could do from home? Become a six- figure freelance writer if you love to write? or you could become a book keeper and earn ($60/hr) from the comfort of your home
22 Simple Poshmark Tips For More Sales
How To Sell On Poshmark: Make Thousands Of Dollars Selling Your Clothes And Unwanted Holiday Gifts On Poshmark.
Mastering these tips I’m about to share with you will make you a Poshmark selling machine. “how to be successful on poshmark?” This guide shows you how to sell on Poshmark fast.
1. Take Great Images Of Your Items To Post On Poshmark Store
Taking great looking pictures is an important step to listing your items and selling well on Poshmark boutique, else, no one will visit your listings.
Make sure you have a good camera (professional or Phone camera) with enough light (Natural or artificial) when taking images.
The goal is to make the item stand out on the image.
Take your photos by a window or glass door in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is at an angle.
Reduce or avoid shadows on your photos.
Maintain a consistent styling of images. Another option is using free images online; if images you took are not nice enough, try using stock photos from free sites like freepik, unsplash, Stockphoto etc. or premium stock photos if you can afford some.
2. Use Optimized Titles On Your Listings
This is very important too because it is what next people see after your image on their feed. It’s advised to put the brand and product name first in the title. This helps your search as well.
A good example is “Stunning Wine Ruffle Tulip Dress- Fully Lined!” and “Anthropologie Dolan ColorBlock Horizon Dress”
Remember to capitalize your titles and descriptions well.
3. Write Good Descriptions Worth Selling
With a nice-looking image and an optimized title, you are sure to get people to visit your listings.
However, there is another thing you need to note, your description because this is what sells your listed items.
Note these in your description:
- Write out the manufacturer, the style/product name, and the color.
- Measurements (inseam, length, waist, etc.).
- List all imperfections and damages.
- Tips on how to wear or style your items.
This already is helping your ideal customers visualize themselves owning the items buying them.
4. Fix Imperfections And Damages
Since the items you are selling could be old and may have some damages, find a way to fix them before thinking of listing.
The item you are selling could be used and have some imperfections. Depending on what they are, there might be a way to fix them!
Use the same kind of material to patch or fix the items. For shoes, Magic Erasers are perfect for removing stains and making them look like new. It gets rid of that worn looking tinge and makes whites bright again.
5. Account For Offers When Setting The Price
When setting the price of your listing, you want to take account of the fact that most people are going to try and get a further discount off of your item.
Depending on what amount you are willing to ‘give up’, list your item at 15% to 30% above what you’d like to make from a sale.
In case someone offers slightly less, you have a higher chance of agreeing on a number that you’re comfortable with.
6. Use A Template To List Faster And Better
You can automate your listing format by creating a systemized way of listing your items. This will help with consistency and the quality of your listings.
Creating a template for listing items on your Poshmark boutique helps you minimize listing time and creating a unique brand.
Remember that branding matters.
Here are some things you can systematize:
- Maintain the use of the same filter for images though.
- Use the same template for descriptions.
- Use the same lighting setup for photos.
- Put all of your listing pictures in order in the same place.
- Always mark up your items by the same percentage.
By having these things decided ahead of time, listing can be less stressful.
6. Target Potential Buyers By Brand, Size, and Style
You don’t have to wait for people to come to your closet, you can get them to come as you want.
Use Poshmark filtering to allow items to match your brands, style and size.
This is where the magic happens. How?
Closely look at the likes on those items that are left after the filtering. Those are your customers. People who have your style, like the brands you sell, and fit into your size.
Now the next move is to create a list of your customers, get their attention! Follow them, share a few of their items, make a few comments.
These people are more likely to buy from you, so it’s worth it to spend time doing it.
Note: you can follow all of the likers of an item automatically using the Closet Assistant!
7. Sharing Directly Impacts Sales
Most Poshmark users are active during parties and in the evenings. That time is your chance to get their attention.
Share your items at least in one party a day.
Yet, it’s not enough to only share your items, share others’ items too, they can also share some of your items in return, thereby exposing your items to a new set of potential customers that’s a good trick.
Note: you can share all of the items in any closet automatically using the Closet Assistant!
8. Add An Extra Surprise To Your Shipment
This may look unnecessary because it is underrated but trust me, it’s important in growing a unique brand.
What can you add to your customers’ shipping package to put a smile on their face? A souvenir, a hand-written note or a fancy packaging can be just ok.
What’s something you can add to your shipment that will bring a smile to your customer? A hand-written note? A souvenir? Some fancy packaging?
Adding a sticker can make the unboxing experience much more exciting and luxurious.
Another thing you can include in your shipment is a coupon card for a percentage off their next purchase from your closet.
9. Quickly Ship Items To Customers
One more thing that can create trust in your customers is shipping items on time. Normally, Poshmark gives you a week so you don’t want to keep it long. It is advised you ship items in two days or less.
10 Treat Selling On Poshmark Like Your Full-term Business
The moment you start taking your Poshmark store a serious business, the more results you get, as well as income. Treat it as any other traditional job or business.
A good customer treat is important to your Poshmark closet business. Your ratings by customers also matter. So, take your time to build a good reputation.
11. Sell Quality Products
Poshmark is a platform to clear out your closet and get rid of the stuff you don’t want/need for more income. But you won’t want to include low quality items in your Poshmark closet. Because it will ruin your reputation and give you a low rating on the platform. And that equal low chance to sell on Poshmark.
Serious sellers on the platform will go out of their way to acquire new or lightly used, fashionable items that you can make a profit on. You should be one serious seller.
12. Nicely Ask For Host Picks
You could get a chance for the spotlight on you for a few hours. This helps you sell more high-priced items in your Poshmark boutique. It is called Host Pick.
If you get selected, nice! If not, try it again. Just be kind and polite, not annoying when asking.
To ask for host picks, comment on one of your listings asking if they would consider it as a host pick.
13. Capture Everything In Images
Including everything having to do with your items you are listing in photos is another tip to help your brand stand out. Let people see more about the items you are listing.
This will address and reduce questions in the comments, and help users quickly make decisions as to whether or not they will be buying your item.
14. List Your Best Items First In Your Closet
The first thing you want to do after you’ve captured people’s attention is to show them your best items in your store.
You only have a few seconds to grab someone’s attention when they come to your closet. So, you won’t want to let that go unutilized.
When they come to your Poshmark boutique, Will they see your best items, or your worst?
To make it pretty easy, you can use the automatic closet organizer function in the Closet Assistant to organize your closet.
15. Be Mindful Of the Rules And Maintain Them
Just like Facebook and other social media platforms, Poshmark has community rules. You can check the community guidelines, and the terms of service here.
Be sure you read and maintain them to avoid being blocked
16. Don’t Be A Spammer
As you seek to get a host pick, your comments on other’s listings determine if you make a sale or not.
It is also best to ignore ridiculous comments on your listings. And it’s preferable to report inappropriate questions by other poshers instead of debating with them.
This is good for your Poshmark closet.
17. Follow Thousands Of Users
Poshmark won’t block you for following as many users as you can. it is fine to follow thousands of users on poshmark, unlike other social media platforms.
You can follow more than 10,000 people per day before Poshmark will stop you. Although not everyone you follow will follow you back, the goal is to get those interested in your brands.
As you follow people, try to get lists of those that have interests in the same style, size, and brands that you sell. These people are more likely to follow back and purchase an item.
Note: You can save some time following thousands of people in a few hours using the Closet Assistant.
18. Quickly Attain To Questions
Another Poshmark quick trick is you staying on your toes to attain to users who are asking questions under your listings.
There is the need for your availability, checking your closet from time to time for new comments by users. Who knows, another sale is waiting for you.
If you happen to respond fast enough, this could be the difference between you making sales or not.
More Extra Tips To Succeed On Poshmark
19. Become A Posh Ambassador
Becoming a suggested user is Poshmark’s way of rewarding it’s most active community members.
One of the benefits of the Suggested User program is randomly being selected to get hundreds of followers (new users on the platform). This can happen every few days, and is one of the quickest ways to get more followers.
Posh Ambassadors Duties:
- Maintaining an active closet-Participate in the Poshmark community
- Provide great and swift customer service
- Being in good standing with Poshmark Community Guidelines and Terms of Service
Posh Ambassador benefits:
- Recommendations to new Poshmark users
- Receive Poshmark exclusive newsletter
- Unlock access to fun programs and opportunities
Requirement To qualify For Poshmark Ambassador. To qualify, you need to meet all of these criteria below:
- Share at least 5,000 items from other Poshers’ closets
- Share your own items at least 5,000 times to the community
- Have at least 50 available listings in your closet
- Make at least 15 sales
- Have an average rating of at least 4.5 stars
- Have an average ship time of less than 3 days
You may enroll in the program through the Poshmark app, under your Posh Stats page after you have completed all the criteria.
Future Buying Tips On Selling On Poshmark
If you consider making it a full-time business to continually selling on Poshmark, there are a few more things I recommend when making future purchases:
20. Online Shop Smarter
When you buy something online, take a screenshot of the model shot and the sizing guide, then put it in your Poshmark folder on your phone or computer.
This is great if you never get around to wearing it or taking a picture in it and want to sell it.
You will now have the picture and size guide handy.
21. Don’t Be Quick To Remove Tags
It’s advised to leave the tags on until you actually wear it.
I know how exciting it is to own that new shirt but don’t rip the tags off right when you get home, wait until you actually go to wear the shirt.
If after a long while you realize that the cloth never actually fit the way you wanted to, and don’t want to return it. Or, if you later feel to do away with cloth or jewelry, you can now sell it on Posh for closer to what you paid.
22. Make It A Side Hustle
If you find that resale fashion is really your thing and you have some time and a little money to invest, then maybe consider making it more of a side hustle.
You can easily shop extreme sales or find great condition items at your local secondhand store and resell them.
When starting this, you should start slow and not buy a bunch of stuff right off the bat.
It could also be fun to try and really get a bit more out of Poshmark, especially if you have a great secondhand store near you that has awesome vintage or name brand things in great condition.
Make those pieces more accessible to people through Posh, and of course earn a little extra for yourself.
Poshmark Ultimate Sales Funnel: How To Sell on Poshmark Fast
Thank you for reading this article thus far. I can tell you’re dedicated. For that, here is a bonus trick. I’m showing you how to use Closet Assistant to make lots of sales fast.
The sales funnel is simple.
1. Share your items, follow closets, and share other closet’s items to get more likes and comments on your items.
2. Use the “Offer To Likers” function to sell the item.
3. Rinse and repeat.
Normally, sales come from the search, which means a customer searches for the exact items they’re looking for and selects the one that matches what they’re willing to pay, checks the quality, and checks the seller rating.
This is where the tips above are useful.
Other sales come from deals offered by the seller to the “likers” of that item, or from appearing in the main feed or party of a user.
However, your job is to get as many likes as possible on an item, and discount it enough in the “offer to likers” functionality that someone bites on it.
Like I said earlier, you should list your item 10% – 20% higher than what you would like to “offer to likers”. In such way, you can have a large discount and still make the money you want to be paid.
Sharing your own items will get your items put at the top of “recently shared” lists, and it will get it in front of your followers.
Following users will get people to check out your closet (they might like some items or share some of your items).
Sharing other closet’s items will give them incentive to follow you or share your items back.
With Closet Assistant, you can share items automatically while you do other things like list items, run errands, or even sleep.
You can rack up lots of shares and follows in a very short amount of time. This helps you get lots of likes on your items and then helps you sell them in the end.
If you liked this article, like it, share it! Thank you for reading, and I hope it helps you get started and generate 6 figures in lots of sales.
Also drop a question or a contribution in the comment section below…
- 10 Best Productivity Planners in 2023 (you absolutely need one!) - January 16, 2023
- Is freelance writing worth it? 10+ benefits that say yes - January 6, 2023
- 10 Best Clothes For Apron Belly - December 5, 2022