It might seem like a shortcut to stock up on your baby food from a grocery store but it is usually advisable to make these baby foods yourself.
This is because your ready-made baby food from the grocery might not contain the needed nutrients in the right quantities for your baby.
However, if constantly making baby food seems tedious to you, then the baby food freezer trays could be just what you need, because they help to keep your baby’s food fresh and nutritious until you need it.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
Making your baby food gives you the privilege of knowing what your baby is consuming and this should not be traded for ready-made products.
However, the use of baby food freezer trays is not restricted only to foods you make yourself, you can also store food purchased from the grocery store to preserve them for when they are needed.
Buying Guide For Baby Food Freezer Trays
- Consider trays that allow you to write information about the food stored in it. So, if you are storing your baby food in the freezer, you can use the washable marker to write information on the lid to track what is in each container and the date it was made. Some containers let you write information on the lid.
- Another alternative to writing on the lid is the special sticky notes that are designed to survive moisture-prone environments like freezers.
- Before you purchase your food storage container, make sure it is dishwasher safe, so you don’t encounter difficulty trying to wash your containers in between use.
- Also, before buying a container set, check for safety in the microwave. Sometimes, you may want to defrost frozen baby food quickly, so being able to slip the container into the microwave will help greatly.
Best Baby Food Freezer Trays
Below are some of the best options of baby food freezer trays you can pick from.
The molds were designed with little hands in mind to encourage your baby to try new foods and flavors while still helping to develop fine motor skills. It is a perfect choice for homemade baby food puree, egg bites, biscuits, toddler meals, and finger foods.
- 100% food-grade silicone
- PVC, BPA, and phthalate-free
- It has easy-grab portion sizes for infants
- Flexible and soft silicone molds
- Has a loop at one end of the tray
- Has tabs and vents on the lid
- It is multi-functional. It can be used to freeze and bake.
- It is easy to pop the food out
- It is convenient to use
This food storage container allows you to prepare your baby’s healthy meals ahead of time while you store them in the freezer till you need them.
The screw-on lids ensure a tasting meal even after they have been stored for long periods.
- Leaks-proof storage set
- Has a screw-on lid
- Has a see-through base
- It can be reused
- It is crack-resistant
- It is easy to clean
- Prevents freezer burn
- Food remains fresh after freezing
- They are durable and last long
- They are dishwasher safe
- They can hold all types of food.
- The lids are not stackable
The baby puree containers are free of dangerous substances that can penetrate your baby’s food. Each portion has a 2-ounce capacity marker, and about 9 portions can be matched with different baby foods to match a baby’s growing nutritional needs.
- Free of harmful substances like phthalates, latex, lead, and nitrosamines
- The silicone lid is the same color as the Food Freezer Tray,
- Made of food-grade silicone
- Can be used for any food storage
- Help to minimize food waste
- Very easy and efficient
- Has a strong silicone smell
This baby food freezer container is made from silicone, which is BPA-free. You just rinse the container with water to make it clean again.
Just like every other reliable food storage container, it helps you get food ready for a later date.
- Made of silicone
- It is BPA-free
- The silicone lid and plastic containers are free of BPA and any other harsh substances that are harmful to your baby.
- The odor of silicone may be too strong.
You can freeze about 9 portions of food at a time with this baby food storage that has 9 individual pods. Each pod can hold 2.5 ounces of food and it has volume markings to help you measure the accurate portion of food for each serving.
- Made of silicone
- Has nine individual pods
- Each can hold up to 2.5 ounces of food
- It is unbreakable
- It won’t get brittle and it lasts a long time
- It can function as a multi-snack pack.
- The lid is non-functional
This is a great option for storing your homemade baby food in large quantities. It is a watertight, airtight, and leak-proof seal that prevents food spills in the freezer. It has space for marking measurements to indicate the portion sizes.
- Has microwave-safe containers
- Has the watertight, airtight leakproof seal
- Stackable trays
- A clear lid and body
- A perfect option for heating and serving food
- Suitable for portioning, storing, and freezing homemade baby foods
- You can see through the container to view content inside
- It prevents food spills in the freezer.
- It takes up storage space
- It is prone to breakage
How Can I Use Baby Food Freezer Trays
You can freeze any type of food with a freezer tray, and a very simple way to achieve this is to spoon the food into a clean set of ice cube trays and allow it to freeze, after which you store the cubes in a clean and airtight freezer-safe container.
Clearly label each tiny meal to reflect the type of food and the date it was made, to help you consume older foods first. For best quality, foods should be consumed within three months while unfrozen baby food should not exceed two days.
Read What Some Parents Have To Say About Some Baby Food Freezer Trays
Here is what Rachel, Co-Founder and Medical Practitioner of National TASC LLC has to say;
“As a doctor and a mother, I recommend the OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers because they’re very ideal for portioning a baby’s food. Since each mini-container has its own separate seal, you only need to open one specific mini container when getting food at a time.
This is the best advantage over other food trays that have a single lid where you expose all the frozen food to ambient microorganisms when getting just in one mini-container. I also love that they are microwave-safe so I can warm my baby’s food.
The clear lids also allow me to see the contents of each mini-container, hence, I can choose the food that I want for my baby”
Read what Rachel Fink, the Founder and CEO of Parenting Pod has to share;
“There are countless different types of baby food freezer trays out there that are ideal and get the job done. As long as they are food safe, and a good size for baby food portions, they’re good.
My personal recommendation, which is a baby food freezer tray I have used recently with my grandchildren, is the WeeSprout Baby Food Storage Bundle. It comes with a silicone tray with 10 sections for baby food portions, reinforced, dishwasher safe, and freezer-safe, as well as 12 little glass jars with lids that are perfect for storing baby food in the fridge or other”.
On her part, Michelle Henry, the CEO and founder of Outdoor Dog Fun said;
“These trays from haakaa are some of the best baby food freezing trays my husband and I have found on the internet. We have one of each color which we use for different kinds of meals (fruits and veggies, meat, and fish, and liquids, such as milk) – so that we always remember what kinds of snacks we have frozen for our son, and ensure there is no flavor transfer. The silicon is food grade and BPA free, being able to withstand temperatures -4 to 446 degrees Fahrenheit.
They are also suitable for use in the oven, microwave, steamer, slow cooker and dishwasher – meaning cooking for your baby is always easy! You can heat the trays, as well as freezing, so you can create steamed foods, or cooked snacks.
In addition to this, I particularly like the variety of shapes in the tray – as I believe it gives the baby more motor skills, as they have to learn to grip and maneuver various snacks!
- How Do I Freeze Baby Food?
- Add your baby food into ice cube trays and put them in a plastic bag.
- Label it with the name of the food along with the date of freezing.
- Place the food in the coldest part of the freezer for it to freeze quickly.
- Why Should I Use Ice Cube Trays?
Ice cubes trays allow you to defrost food according to your baby’s needs.
- How Long Can I Keep Food In The Freezer For?
- Beef and lamb within 4-6 months
- Cooked fruit purees within 6-8 months
- Poultry within 4-6 months
- Soups and sauces within 3 months
- Bread within 2-3 months
- Cooked vegetable purees within 6-8 months
- Whitefish (haddock, cod, etc) within 6-8 months
- Sliced bacon and sausages within 2-3 months
- Oily fish (tuna, salmon, etc) within 3-4 months
- How Should I Defrost Frozen Food?
You can put the frozen food into a bowl and place it into a larger bowl of hot water. Within 15 minutes your food will be ready. Alternatively, if you aren’t in a hurry, you can leave the food to defrost in the fridge which can take several hours.
- What Food Should I Not Freeze
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Raw eggs in shells
- Watery fruit and veg like melon, lettuce, cucumber
- Leafy herbs like chives and basil
- Egg-based sauces like mayonnaise
- Low-fat dairy products like plain yogurt, cottage cheese
- Is It Good To Freeze Baby Food?
Freezing baby food is good and also a smart way for you to save yourself some stress and energy while you have a fresh meal for your baby each time.
Preparing your baby food in bulk is the best way to save yourself energy and time in the days to come. Though the initial task of meal preparation can be time-consuming and involve a lot of hard work, in the end, you will be left with dozens of well-prepared meals that can be popped out of the freezer and ready to go at any moment.
To get it done rightly, you will need one of the best baby food freezer trays that are suitable for the job. Go through the ones discussed in this post and make an informed choice based on you and the baby’s needs.
You might also like:
Warren Buffet said that the No. 1 mistake parents make is waiting for too long…
The Tommee Tippee brand is known for designing popular baby products. Its pacifier was designed…
Healthy babies are always bubbling with energy. To burn off this energy, they jump on…
Tommee Tippee claims to produce bottles with high-tech anti-colic features and nipples that feel like…
- 10 Best Productivity Planners in 2023 (you absolutely need one!) - January 16, 2023
- Is freelance writing worth it? 10+ benefits that say yes - January 6, 2023
- 10 Best Clothes For Apron Belly - December 5, 2022