Does your child love swimming and splashing in the pool? The safety of your toddlers should be your priority as swimming pools can be dangerous for your little one.
Toddlers’ swim vests, life jackets, and puddle jumpers will make them safer when in the water.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
Also, toddlers are at the stage where their sense of adventure is high and they tend to show no form of fear towards any kind of water body.
Therefore, the need for a toddler’s swim vest, which will make them safe and comfortable. It can be used either when taking swimming lessons or just having a nice time in the water.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in every five victims that drown is a kid – making drowning a major accidental cause of death for children in the United States of America.
So, here’s a list of the top toddler swim vests and all that you need to know when buying one for your little ones.
What Is The Difference Between Swim Vest And Life Jackets?
Unlike life jackets that are available for every age bracket, the swim vest is only available for toddlers. Life jackets are often too heavy for children making them uncomfortable in the water. A swim vest on the other hand can serve as a lifesaving tool that can keep a child from drowning.
A life jacket must be Coast Guard approved before use while a swim vest doesn’t need to be certified – though many of the toddler’s swim vests are Coast Guard certified and approved.
What Is The Difference Between Swim Vest And Floaties?
Floaties are often like a toy that a child can hold on to and are usually not fixed on the toddler, while a swim vest requires a child to be buckled or strapped in – this is to keep the child in the vest for safety. So, swim vests are adjudged safer than floaties which can be lost in the water.
Some Safety Tips During Swimming
- Do not leave the child unattended while in the water
- Teach the child to always enter the pool with the feet first
- Do not teach your child to hold his/her breath while under the water
- Ensure that the child is putting on the right swimming vest before entering the water
What To Consider Before Buying A Toddler Swim Vest
Buying the best toddler swim vest will be based more on your child’s swimming needs. However, these are a few things to consider before choosing a swim vest for your little one;
- Material: You must ensure that the swim vest is made from waterproof neoprene, polyester, or nylon materials. These materials are known to be fast-drying and lightweight – read through the label to ensure this information is correct.
- Comfort: A toddler’s swimming vest should be made from materials that are comfortable and lightweight because an ill-fitted vest could cause rubbing or chafing. So, ensure that you read through the size chart to get a perfect fit for your kid.
- Sun Protection: Most swim vests have an additional UV layer that offers protection from the sun. This is important because early exposure of your little one to the sun can result in some hazards later in life – increasing the risk of skin cancer.
- Coast Guard Approval: Though it is not a guarantee, most swim vests are coast guard certified which also ensures that they can serve as life jackets during swimming activities.
- Safety: This is a top priority and should be highly prioritized. Note the following while choosing a swim vest;
- Choose a swim vest that matches the weight of your child.
- Buy from a reputable manufacturer with good reviews.
- Ensure that the swim vest is adequately strapped to your toddler and do not leave them unattended in the water.
Best Toddlers Swim Vests
The following are the best toddlers swim vests available in the marketplace. Check them out:
This is designed for children who are already familiar with the water, that is, older children. It’s made from polyester material that adds extra buoyancy and needed warmth.
- Durable and soft
- Coast Guard certified
- UV50+ protection for sun protection
- Full front zipper for easy pulling and wearing
- Made from neoprene materials for buoyancy and warmth
- It allows for easy mobility
- The zipper for easy on and off
- Built with adjustable safety strap
- Swim level 2 water confidence that helps to build a child’s confidence in the water
- The safety strap could cause discomfort for the kid
Buy It Here On Amazon
The Swimschool TOT swim training vest is recommended for children between 2 – 4 years. So, if you are looking for something to give your kid some confidence while learning how to swim – consider the Swimschool TOT swim training vest. It helps your little one learn free motion arm movement, high on the chest for stability and leaning forward for comfortability.
- Easy to deflate and inflate
- Stretchable and durable vinyl tube
- Fabrics vest with an inflatable tube around the waist
- A form fit UPF 50 fabric that is gentle on the skin and protects from harmful UV radiation
- Promote a natural swimming position
- Offers superior fit and promotes dynamic movement
- Adjustable buoyancy as a result of the two air chambers
- Promotes stability in kids who are not familiar with the water
- Un-adjustable crotch strap
Buy It Here On Amazon
The Gogokids kids swim vest is ideal for children between 2 – 6 years of age. Also, kids weighing between 30lbs – 50lbs (14 – 23kgs) can use it because of the adjustable strap. It helps the toddler to keep balance and float in water – giving the children more freedom and confidence in the water. It can be used in swimming pools, on the boat, on beaches, and the lakeside.
- 12 months extra guarantee
- Ready to use, does not need inflation
- Rear adjustable buckle which children cannot unclip
- Soft fabrics and with no chaffing allow a natural movement when swimming
- Easy to wear
- Safe and secure
- Soft and comfortable materials with beautiful cartoon designs
- Some users have complaints about the stitches
- The armband tends to slip down from time to time
Buy It Here On Amazon
It is ideal for beginners because it gives them confidence when learning how to swim. The Stearns original puddle jumper is suitable for water bodies like public pools, the boat, and the water pack. It is certified by the United States Coast Guard for use as a Type V/iii floatation device.
- Durable nylon shell
- Adjustable back buckle for fittings
- Friendly and colorful design for children
- For toddlers between 30 to 50 pounds
- Coast Guard certification V/III life jacket for toddlers
- Comfortable for kids
- Good quality construction
- Fit snugly for added safety for the kids
- Secure the toddler’s head from getting underwater
- Soft fabric and beautiful designs to add fun to kid’s adventure
- Some parents have complained of bulkiness around the arm
- Also, it can trap water within, thereby, leading to the growth of mold
Buy It Here On Amazon
If you are looking for swim vets that will help the kids gain some confidence when learning how to swim – try the Splash About Kids Learn to swim vest. It allows free movement of the arm and legs because of its lightweight. So, for the next vacation, think about Splash About Kids Learn to Swim Vest. It is available in sizes for 1 – 6 years of age ( 22-35 pounds, 36-55 pounds, and 56-70 pounds)
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- YKK zip down at the front
- Quick-drying after wash
- It is soft and lightweight
- Bright and beautiful color designs
- Fast growers might not be able to use it for long
Buy It Here On Amazon
Are Toddlers Swim Vest Good For Kids?
Yes – they are safe for kids because it helps them safely discover the joys associated with swimming. Besides, swim vests are designed to offer comfort and maximum safety to toddlers. They are available in different sizes irrespective of the weight of your child.
Are Swim Vest Recommended?
Yes, they are highly recommended. It is advised to wear a lifejacket at all times when in or around water bodies. The lifejacket should be Coast Guard certified.
What Are The Differences Between Life Jackets And Swim Vest?
The swim vest is a swimming aid and should not be used as a life-saving device. Besides, puddle jumpers and lifejackets are used in providing buoyancy and should be certified by the United States Coast Guard regulations.
What Are The Best Toddler Swimming Vests?
The best toddlers swimming vest in the marketplace are;
- Speedo Unisex-Child Swim Flotation Life Vest
- Swimchool TOT Swim Training Vest
- Gogokids Kids Swim Vest Float Armbands
- Stearns Original Puddle Jumper
- Splash About Kid’s Learn To Swim Vest
Hear What People Are Saying About Toddlers Swim Vest
Here is what Christen Costa, CEO of Gadget Reviews has to say about the Speedo Life Vest “One of the best toddlers swim vests I’ve used is the classic Speedo “Begin to Swim” Life Vest. It has SPF 50, which makes it a great choice to wear for long days at the pool or the beach. It has a secure zipper to keep it properly fastened and an adjustable buckled strap for extra security”.
For Scott Killmer – founder at CarWindshield, he says: “I am a grandfather of two amazing children, one Christina, and the other Jacob. Recently I went swimming vest shopping with them and explored a bunch of options with my daughter and learned so much about the swimming vests”.
“This was one of the vests we bought. It was available in many different sizes and was great with a safety belt and quick-drying material. However, because of the lack of colors, my grandson didn’t like it. The Swimschool TOT Swim Training Vest is only available in berry and blue”.
Scott Killmer’s continues: “Also, we got the Stearns Original Puddle Jumper which was unique and easy to manage for all the toddlers. It was available in various designs which were a plus point. The material was also great and durable”.
In her response, Alina Davies – parenting and lifestyle blogger at We Made This Life said “I would recommend this swim vest because it is easily adjustable and fits from age 2-6 so will last a long time. It doesn’t need inflating which is a bonus when at the pool with an impatient toddler! It is lightweight and enables the child to still be able to move in the water which is crucial to them learning how to swim. Also, it is unique because it combines a vest with armbands for the best of both worlds.
- No need to inflate
- Free movement
- Long-lasting age limit
- Obviously, you still need to supervise your child in the water very closely in case they tip forward into the water, but this is the same for all life vests.
- Shoulder straps need tightening separately to make them more secure”.
Toddler’s swimming vest will help your wards gain more confidence and become stronger while learning the art of swimming. Also, buying it will help keep your child safe while in the water.
You might also like:
Warren Buffet said that the No. 1 mistake parents make is waiting for too long…
The Tommee Tippee brand is known for designing popular baby products. Its pacifier was designed…
Healthy babies are always bubbling with energy. To burn off this energy, they jump on…
Tommee Tippee claims to produce bottles with high-tech anti-colic features and nipples that feel like…