Nap mats for toddlers are important because toddlers need at least 14 hours of sleep in a day.
This is important for their growth and development. It also boosts their mental health and prevents moodiness and tantrums.
Toddlers also need more rest during the day to recuperate than adults. As a parent, it is important you give your little one all the rest they need after being stimulated through the day.
A nap mat for toddlers will help your kid have a good sleep when they are away from home. A nap mat is very comfortable, it provides a comfortable place for children to lay their head and sleep anywhere in comfort.
Another important use of nap mats for toddlers is in daycare. Once your child is enrolled in daycare, they will be placed on the floor to take naps with other children.
Many parents worry about how their children will manage in this environment. A quality nap mat for toddlers will make this less challenging for your baby.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
Before you get a nap mat for daycare, you have to speak with personnel because some daycares have specifications for nap mats. Some daycare demand nap mats that are 2 inches thick.
The one you buy should be comfortable and safe for your child. It should also be easy to carry about, store, and clean.
We know it is not easy to choose the best nap mat for your toddler, so we’ve gone through this stress for you. In this post, you will find the best nap mats for toddlers, their ratings, and why we recommend them.
How To Choose The Best Nap Mats For Toddlers
A nap mat is a piece of material that offers your child a soft place to sleep when their regular bed is absent. They are usually portable and lightweight and come in a wide range of styles.
Here are some things you have to put into consideration when buying nap mats for toddlers:
The size of the mat
You have to consider the size of the mat. It should have enough space for your kid to lie comfortably without some of his/her body on the ground.
Also, some daycare centers demand certain sizes. So, check at your local daycare before purchasing a nap mat for toddlers. You also have to check the actual thickness if not, you might end up with a 1-inch nap mat with just the covers making up for the extra inch.
The quality of the mat
You have to check the materials the nap mat is made of. A good way to check this is to read the product description and also read reviews about the nap mat online.
You will find some buyers complaining about the low quality of some nap mats. Some people complain that the material is too stretchy, others complain that it is too hard.
To check for quality, look at the inner linings, it should be made of cotton. Also, buy nap mats that are not noisy, a noisy nap mat will make your baby uncomfortable during nap time.
You should get a nap mat that is portable and easy to store if you will carry it around except you want your nap mat for your toddler to be a semi-permanent fixture in the home.
While institutional mats are portable and easy to carry around, the semi-permanent ones are more durable, rigid, and don’t collapse totally.
The best nap mats for toddlers come with removable pillows. This feature is important for a lot of reasons. First and foremost, you won’t spend extra money buying a new pillow.
The washing process will also be easier since the pillow won’t lose its contour.
This feature is important and very useful during cold/winter as your toddler will be able to wrap themselves and remain warm. This will help them fall asleep faster.
An attached blanket will also help you keep everything together as your kid won’t lose it. It also saves cost as you won’t have to buy a separate blanket.
But check to see if you can easily wash the blanket before you buy the nap mat.
If your toddler is undergoing potty-training, you should get a nap mat that isn’t absorbent. You can easily wipe this after the incident and it will protect the carpet below.
If your toddler is older, then you can go for a more comfortable nap mat. Also, choose a soft mat that can be thrown into the washing machine and cleaned easily.
Importance Of Nap Mats For Toddlers
Nap mats for toddlers keep children comfortable when sleeping on the floor. They also offer a hygienic barrier from the ground. Naps mats also help define a special space reserved for toddlers to sleep. This prevents them from leaving their beds.
When kids are familiar with nap mats, it will be easier to settle them and get them to sleep when away from home. Circumstances or places you need nap mats for toddlers are:
- Daycare and child care centers
- Grandparents’ house
- In a reading nook
- Cozy lounging space for movie nights
- At home, when kids refuse to stay in bed, they can sleep on nap mats
- Travels, hotels, and vacations
The Best Nap Mats For Toddlers
These nap mats come with removable pillows and their quality is outstanding.
Angeles germ-free nap mat
The reason this product is first on our list is because a good number of kindergartens and daycare centers in the US recommend it. It is also certified by the “Greenguard Gold”, an organization that protects children from dangerous products in schools.
This mat is highly comfortable and one of its biggest selling points is the thickness. This makes it more than comfortable. It is also durable and long-lasting.
Most mats flatten after some time and even become less comfortable. This is not so with the Angeles germ-free nap mats. It is 2 inches thick and you won’t have to worry if your child places the mat on a hard or wooden floor.
If your main priorities are safety and durability, then this is the nap mat you should go for. From our search, this is one of the best nap mats for toddlers.
What we like best about this nap mat is that:
- It is very easy to clean the vinyl covers
- The nap mat is resistant to germs and bacteria
- It has a rip-proof cover making it durable
- It has a 3-year warranty
- Also, it is waterproof
- It is radio-frequency sealed to resist bacteria and germs
Well, nothing is perfect and this nap mat has some drawbacks we noticed:
- It is too large to be carried around (48 inches long)
- It has gaps between sections that are huge a very thin rubber shell
- Also, it lacks colorful characters and kids might not like this. This shouldn’t be a problem, buy colorful stickers and decorate the nap mat for your kid.
- You need additional sheets, pillows, and blankets
Get this nap mat for toddlers on Amazon.
My first memory foam nap mat
This particular nap mat for toddlers was designed with daycare in mind. It comes with a name tag that helps you personalize the nap mat for your toddler.
It is very comfortable as it is made of memory foam that adapts to your child’s body and helps them to relax well and completely.
The removable part for this nap mat can be easily washed in a washing machine. You wash only the cover and not the cushioning. Its pillow gives great head support to toddlers to help them get plenty of rest.
You will get everything you are looking for in this quality nap mat for toddlers.
What we like about the My first memory foam nap mat for toddlers are:
- It meets the safety standards for quality
- It has a handy name tag for personalization
- Also, it has a removable cover and an attached pillow
The drawbacks about this nap mat are:
- It is only one inch thick
- It is not waterproof
- Also, it is not too comfortable on the floor
- You have to buy a separate blanket
Get this nap mat for toddlers on Amazon.
Wildkin big dots aqua original nap mat
Just looking at reviews online, you will see that this nap mat for toddlers has been described as the perfect preschool mat by a large number of parents.
It has great padding on the bottom that makes it comfortable to sleep on a floor. It has a removable pillow and cover that give your toddler additional comfort.
You can easily roll it and secure the mat with Velcro straps and store it without much effort. You can easily carry it around because it has useful carry straps that allow you to carry the mat when dropping your toddler at daycare.
One of the biggest selling points of this nap mat is the design. It has more than 20 different colorful designs that kids will like. Some of the designs are superheroes, dinosaurs, princesses, and many more.
It is a perfect choice for both boys and girls. If you have extra money, you can buy a matching lunchbox or backpack for your toddler.
What we love about this nap mat is that:
- It mas many designs and colors
- It comes with a large blanket and pillow attached
- Also, it has a matching backpack
- It is portable and machine washable
The cons of these nap mats are:
- It might be too small for bigger kids
- The fabric is a little bit stiff for some parents
- It doesn’t have a cushion
- It is not waterproof
- Also, it is not appropriate for little babies because it has a blanket
If this is your choice, get it on Amazon.
Olive kids train, planes and trucks nap mat
Though this is a fairly simple product, what separates it from the rest and gives it a place on our list is its perfect balance of cuteness and comfort.
We all know that toddlers are obsessed with cars, trains, and planes. This brand of nap mat for toddlers has all of them in different colors and designs.
Toddlers will fall in love with this.
When it comes to comfort, the olive kid nap mat is not left behind. It has additional padding under the mat and pillow. The pillow is removable and you can also wash the whole mat in a washing machine without any worry.
The attached blanket is also large, thereby enabling your toddler to wrap themselves completely and remain warm during the cold/winter.
The pros of this nap mat are:
- Its padding makes sleep comfortable
- It is easy to carry around because it can be rolled easily
- Also, it meets CPSIA safety standards
The cons of these nap mats are:
- Some kids complain that it is not soft enough.
- It is not waterproof
- The Velcro will wear out over time
You can get this nap mat for toddlers on Amazon.
Ozark mountain kids nap mat
This might not be a popular product but it earned a spot on our list for a lot of reasons. It meets the 2-inch criteria, it has lots of designs, and it is durable like most Disney nap mats in the market.
This nap mat has small air chambers that provide additional comfort for your toddlers because it is blown in a polyester fill. It also has an attached pillow and blanket.
One problem parents face with thick nap mats is that they lose their shape after the first wash. You won’t have this experience with the Ozark mountain nap mat.
Another impressive thing about this nap mat is that it is suitable for average-sized toddlers and tall children. It is easy to carry around as you roll it into a backpack for your child to carry.
What we love best about this mat is that:
- It meets the mat requirement in any state
- It is made with high-quality material
- Also, it can be rolled up into a backpack.
The cons of this nap mat are:
- The attached blanket might be too small for some kids
- It doesn’t give room for personalization (no name tag)
- It is more expensive than other mats on the list.
If this is the right nap mat for your toddler, get it here.
Urban infant all-in-one nap mat
This is the best choice for daycares that have institutional cots. In this case, you have to provide the bedding. This durable nap mat comes with elastic loops that attach your child’s nap mat with a pillow and blankets securely to the cot.
It prevents it from sliding around and gives your toddler the comfort they deserve. And you don’t have to worry about cleaning it because it is 100% machine washable.
All you have to do is bring it home on weekends and throw it into the washing machine.
What we like about this nap mat is that:
- It attaches easily and securely to standard daycare cots and mats.
- It has secret pockets. You can put your child’s stuffed animals there
- Also, it is durable and machine washable
The cons of this product are:
- It is not waterproof
- It does not have a thick padding
Get this lovely nap mat on Amazon.
Millard toddler nap mat
Parents who are worried about their kids sleeping on harmful chemicals will love this product.
This 3-inch thick nap mat for kids is made with Certi-PUR foam to reduce the risks of children having contact with dangerous chemicals.
The density of the foam is also high thereby offering optimum comfort to your baby. The absence of dangerous chemicals gives parents peace of mind.
Millard toddler nap mat has a soft and removable bamboo cover with a non-slip bottom. This makes it secure during nap time. The cover is machine washable for easy cleaning when dirty.
What we love about this product are:
- It is thick
- It is long (57 inches)
- The material is Certi-PUR
- It has fitted sheets
- It will not compress and lose its shape over time.
The cons of Millard toddler nap mats are:
- It is bulky and cannot be carried around easily
- It has no waterproof cover
DIY Nap Mats For Toddlers
If you have the DIY gene and would love to make a nap mat for your toddler, then this tutorial is for you.
- 1-yard fleece fabric
- 2 yards Minky fabric
- 28-inch elastic (3 inches wide)
- Poly-fill stuffing (32 oz)
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- Ballpoint needle (recommended)
- Walking foot (Recommended)
- If you are buying a fabric that is at least 50 inches long, you will need 1 yard of fleece and Minky to make the bag potion. You will also need Minky fabric for the strap and pillow.
- So, buy an additional yard of Minky to make a total of 2 yards.
- You need a ballpoint needle when sewing with fleece or Minky
- You will need a walking foot if you own one since you will be sewing through many thick layers of fabric.
1. Cut two 40X50 inch rectangles, one from the minky and the other one from the fleece. Put the rectangles right-sides together and pin the edges so that they don’t shift.
2. Sew the sides and bottom edges with a ¼ inch seam. Leave the entire edge at the top open then turn the right side out.
3. Fold the fabric in half (lengthwise), the minky should be on the outside. Pin the edges to prevent shifting.
4. Sew the short bottom edge and the long open edge. Stop sewing 12 inches away from the top so that it can be easy for your toddler to climb in and out of it.
Sew it with a ½ inch seam or inside the bulk of the previous seam.
5. Turn the right side out.
Sewing the pillow
6. Cut 2 pieces of minky, 24X20 inches. Layer the right sides together and pin.
7. Sew the top and 2 short sides with a ¼ inch seam, leave the bottom opened and turn the right side out.
8. Measure 4 inches in from the unsewn edge of the bottom. Mark it with pins. Top stitch down the pillow length, leave a 6-inch hole in the center for stuffing.
9. Stuff the pillow with poly-fill stuffing and
10. Top-stitch the center hole shut.
Sewing the strap
11. Cut the rectangle from minky to 16X9 inches, fold it in half lengthwise and pin.
12. Sew down the long open edges with ¼ inch seam and turn the right side out.
Assemble the nap sack roll
13. Slide the bottom edge of the pillow between the minky and fleece layers on the back of the bag.
14. Cut (2) pieces of wide elastic to 14 inches each. Fold the elastic in half and it should be 7 inches in length.
15. Put the bag faced down and slide the raw edge of the folded elastic between the fabric layers. It should be about 4 inches in from each edge.
16. Fold the fabric layers inward ½ inch to hide the raw edge. Pin through just 1 layer of the fleece and minky, be careful not to pin through the other layers on the other side.
Pin the elastic in place.
17. Pin the looped edge of the elastic to the pillow. This will keep it out of the way while you are sewing.
18. Pin the ends of the strap piece in the middle of the bag, it should be between the 2 elastic loops. Again, pin through only one layer of the fleece and minky.
19. Now pin the loose portion of the strap to the pillow, this will keep it out of the way while you sow.
20. Open the bag around the arm of your sewing machine so that you will only sew through one layer of fleece and minky and the flaps at the end of the pillowcase.
Topstitch close to the end of the fleece with an inch seam. Remove the pins as you go and sew it slowly as the fabric gets thick.
21. Flip the bag to the front. Open the bag so that you can fold under the raw edge of the minky to the pillow. Pin and sew this with an inch seam.
22. You are almost done. Fold in the fleece and minky on the top of the back, align the edges and pin.
23. Then topstitch with an inseam.
Your DIY nap mat for your toddler is ready.
We hope this post serves as a guide to parents who are searching for the best and long-lasting nap mats for toddlers to get for their kids.
If you know any other durable and long-lasting nap mats apart from the ones mentioned in this post, please let us know in the comment section.