Toddlers are climbers by nature. Their curiosity and sense of adventure at that age, makes every tall thing look surmountable and every place climbable. So, if you have a 1-year old who likes to scale everything in sight, you must be ready to purchase one of the best climbing toys for 1-year-olds.
Read on to learn more about the climbing toys for 1-year-olds, their benefits, and what to look out for before choosing one for your toddler.
What Are Climbing Toys?
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
Climbing toys are creative structures that are designed to give your child a safe way to climb and play. It helps kids to exercise their bodies by sliding, jumping, climbing, and also helps in improving their motor skills.
Climbing toys can be incredibly enriching for the development of a child, both physically and mentally.
When choosing the right climbing toy, it should be something suitable for the environment you are going to have it in (consider whether it will be indoors or outdoors),
It is also important to be sure the materials used are soft and safe.
Some of these structures are designed for either indoor or outdoor purposes while others can serve a dual purpose- they can be used indoors and also taken outdoors if you choose.
What To Consider When Choosing Climbing Toys For Toddlers
You will never go wrong with the tips listed below.
- Shape And Size
This is an important factor to consider when buying climbing toys for 1-year-olds. Some climbing toys are large – very suitable for outdoors, while some are smaller and more compact for indoor purposes. So you must look at the size of the toy your house will conveniently accommodate and also how easy your kid will be able to use it.
- Timeless Toy
Choose a toy that your child can grow with and not outgrow within a short period. This implies that you should choose a climbing toy with a wider age group range that will help to maximize your investment in it.
A climbing toy that can serve several purposes is worth it because it will help children to have fun all day and not get bored with repeating the same activity. Find a climbing toy with a slide, a tunnel, or a basketball hoop.
- Encourage Learning
Your best choice of the toy should be one that encourages critical thinking and allows kids to learn new things like numbers and letters. It must also be attractive and entertaining so your kids learn as they play.
What Are The Benefits Of Climbing For Kids
- Physical And Mental Development
Physical development is fundamental for a healthy body and this can be influenced by physical activity in toddlers especially.
When kids are climbing, their brains are engaged in valuable ways. If a child is climbing on a ladder structure, the child will have to determine how to get to the top and the actions required to achieve it.
The skills and mental alertness gotten from climbing can also aid learning in school and beyond.
- Problem Solving Ability
Climbing is an activity that requires proper calculation. This implies that right from a tender age, kids who engage in climbing unconsciously engage in visualizing solutions to a challenge and solving low-risk problems.
They gradually learn to concentrate and build their focus because even when they fall severally, they don’t give up.
- Builds Their Confidence
Climbing gives kids the opportunity to experiment with and develop their sensory awareness. Kids gradually learn how to manage fear and stress while trying to complete a task. Climbing also allows them to express their emotions.
Best Climbing Toys For 1-Year Old
Note that while the below are categorized under indoor or outdoor yet you will find out that there are some that can serve both ways.
Best Indoor Climbing Toys
This is a soft play structure for infants who love crawling, sliding, and climbing. As the kids move and tumble within the play area, they develop coordination(an important gross motor skill). It is one of the best climbing toys that should be used in playrooms, daycares, and bedrooms
- Has soft but sturdy foam shapes
- It is covered with reinforced, phthalate-free vinyl- a non-toxic, durable leather-like material
- Made with higher-density polyurethane foam
- Toddlers can safely and easily explore new heights
- It encourages movement with muscle action
- It is captivating and fun to play with
- It is easy to clean
- Kids may outgrow it quickly.
These climbing toys are an important investment parents must make on behalf of their kids. It speeds up the overall development of children and builds their confidence.
- Has an arch climbing ladder
- Parts are hand-sanded
- Free of phthalates, leads, and heavy metals.
- Allows children to burn their energies and have fun within the home.
- Helps children with physical movement
- Builds the confidence of children
- Promotes independent imagination and activity,
- It is affordable
This indoor climbing toy is a perfect choice to keep your child active all day. It allows your toddlers to explore gross motor skills and improve their physical activity. It also has enticing bright colors kids would love.
- Made of a toxic-free waterproof-thickened synthetic leather cover
- It is crack-resistant,
- The climbing ramp is soft but firm
- Has bright colors
- Has hook & loop tapes to combine the parts
- It is attractive to kids
- It is safe for toddlers to play
- It is easy to clean
- The tunnel is too small
These are wooden climbing structures that are triangular-shaped. They have dowel-style rungs to help toddlers climb like a ladder. Children love to climb to the top, over, and then go down the other side. Go for a triangle that can be folded if you have a challenge with storage space.
- It is made of a wooden triangle
- Wooden boards are connected with nails.
- It stimulates a child’s natural climbing instincts
- Children can play easily without assistance from adults
- It creates an opportunity for a child to climb up to various levels without the fear of falling because of the stability of the triangle.
- It helps a child to have fun all-day
- It takes up too much space
Best Outdoor Climbing Toys
The dome-shaped climber is one of the best choices if you are looking for a basic but versatile climbing toy.
- Made of steel
- Rust and UV resistant
- Has a capacity of 1,000 pounds
- Its compact design is 91 x 91 x 46 inches.
- It is durable
- Allows kids build strength and stamina
- Kids learn social skills and teamwork
- It doesn’t consume too much space
- It takes a lot of time to assemble
- The assembly instructions can be misleading.
Monkey bars are fun and effective climbing toys that are easy to work out especially when they are incorporated into a dome-shaped tower structure, which can make it become a backyard favorite. It is a suitable climbing toy for kids.
- Made of durable but light plastic bars and connectors that are easy to assemble.
- Has a self-lock spring system.
- Has a UV protection
- It’s safe for kids
- It lasts for long
- Easy to use and move around
- It can be difficult to assemble
Rock climbing is one of the great ways to encourage children to be physically active and also strengthens the body, while allowing children to have fun safely. The kit contains ten colorful pig nose holds with holes in a secure attachment set. You will need an open space to secure the holds like a wooden or wall ramp.
- Made of a weather-resistant plastic
- It is cheap
- It is safe and durable
- It is affordable
- Holds are very small and cannot be adjusted easily when setting routes
This ninja style is a complete climbing course that helps your child to have fun. You can create the playground feeling in your backyard by setting up this magical climbing course. Then you can watch your kids have fun while swinging on the ninja rings and the monkey bars, playing on the climbing cargo net and climbing the rope ladder.
You can also join in on the fun because it is a strong heavy-duty outdoor set.
- The slack line can hold up to about 260 pounds.
- Has pretty colors that make it catchy to kids.
- Heavy-duty materials that are strong and reliable
- Holder weight capacity is up to 110lb.
- They are durable and the pieces are strong
- Each part impacts a unique knowledge
- It teaches coordination and exercise.
- It is a fun obstacle course to try
Real Reviews from Real Parents on the Best Climbing Toys For 1-Year-Olds
Rachel Scott – Co-Founder and Medical Practitioner, National TASC LLC says:
“My babies’ first climbing playset was the JOYMOR Indoor Soft Foam Climber Play Sets. The climbing ramp is soft but firm so it is perfect for kids learning to climb. It is covered with thickened PU leather so it is very durable.
This also makes it crack-resistant, waterproof, and toxic-free. It is best for indoor climbing, plus the kids can use it to slide too. Hence, I’m really happy with this product”.
For Craig Miller – Co-Founder Academia Labs LLC, this is what he has to say:
“My kids used the ALZN Climbing Ladder Toys for Toddlers with Ramp and Padding. It’s a 3-in-1 climbing toy set where kids can slide, climb, and use it as a rocker too. Though it is made of wood, it is very durable as the wood is of high quality.
The playset can even allow two to three kids to play at the same time. I also had an easy time assembling and disassembling the playset so this is perfect for parents who are not very adept at tinkering stuff. Overall, this is a really good climbing playset”.
Read what Jennifer Curtis, a Foodie Blogger has to say,
“I highly recommend the ECR4Kids SoftZone Single Tunnel Climber for your kids as this is what my baby girl used when she was one year old. It’s a soft foam climber so your kids are safe even if they stumble and fall around.
The set consists of a ramp, two-stepping blocks, plus a traversing tunnel. The set pieces are made of dense foam covered with vegan leather. They are also equipped with a non-slip base to add safety for your kids. With all that, this is a really good climbing toy set for your one-year-olds”.
- What Are Indoor Climbing Toys?
Indoor climbing toys are designed to give your child a safe and creative way to climb, helping them to have fun all day within the house.
- Are Indoor Climbing Toys Good For Toddlers?
Yes! Indoor climbing toys are a great way to encourage the overall development of toddlers.
- What Are The Things To Consider When Buying A Climbing Toy
- Shape and size
- The age group range
- Learning capabilities
Kids are a bundle of energies and always looking for the next thing to do. With climbing toys, your toddler will be able to channel that energy in a productive way to develop major motor skills — like coordination, strength, and balance.
It is also a great way to learn teamwork and improve the imaginative ability of a child.
Buy climbers for your toddlers to bring out the best in them.
You might also like:
Warren Buffet said that the No. 1 mistake parents make is waiting for too long…
The Tommee Tippee brand is known for designing popular baby products. Its pacifier was designed…
Healthy babies are always bubbling with energy. To burn off this energy, they jump on…
Tommee Tippee claims to produce bottles with high-tech anti-colic features and nipples that feel like…
- Redefining Success: How to Find *Your* Success in a Confused World - September 22, 2023
- 10 Best Productivity Planners in 2023 (you absolutely need one!) - January 16, 2023
- Is freelance writing worth it? 10+ benefits that say yes - January 6, 2023