You will need a baby flat head pillow if your baby has flat head. It is a very common condition in babies but it is not a serious condition or something to worry about.
This post will help you choose the best pillows for that. Baby flat head pillow can both prevent and correct flat head in babies.
What Is Flat Head Syndrome?
Flat head syndrome, medically known as “positional plagiocephaly” is a common condition that affects most newborn babies.
This is not something to worry about because it can be corrected using a baby flat head pillow. It also corrects itself as the baby grows. In some cases, a flat head baby helmet is worn for a number of months – It is highly effective in correcting this condition but it is expensive and uncomfortable.
Criteria For Choosing The Best Baby Flat Head Pillow
There are lots of baby flat head pillows in the market but not all of them are worth buying. The following criteria helped us to separate the best from the rest when researching for this post.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
Breathability: The material should be breathable, check for TUV certifications because it shows the material is quality and breathable thereby safe for babies including newborns.
Harmful substances: You should avoid baby flat head pillows that contain harmful chemicals used during the making of the pillows like bleach. Check for OEKO-TEX 100 certification that shows that the pillow and not just the fabrics is safe from chemicals.
Plagiocephaly effectiveness: The pillow should be clinically tested, with even publication in health and medical journals.
Kid/baby-safe: The pillow should be safe for babies and even newborns. The certifications should note this.
Patented: You need to check if the baby pillow is patented. This shows originality.
Manufacturing certification: Check for ISO certification to ensure consistent manufacturing of the product.
Doctor designed and approved? Check if a doctor designed the pillow. You can also check if any doctor has recommended the pillow. You can check by reading the package or looking up the pillow online.
Baby Flat Head Pillows
There are special pillows that prevent and correct flat head syndrome in infants. A lot of parents turn to these special baby sleep-position pillows when faced with this condition.
Below are some of the best baby flat head pillows we’ve researched.
From our research, this is one of the brands of baby flat head pillows that has gone through lengthy, exhausting, and costly safety precautions and global regulations.
It is a handmade flat head pillow for babies and made in Spain. It has an ISO 13485 registration and quality management system for medical devices.
Due to their amazing quality and features, this pillow is always out of stock on Amazon but it is worth the wait.
- 100% breathable and certified safe by experts
- Very hygienic and easy to clean
- It has a cooling effect, excellent air flow, and prevents the build-up of heat.
- Anti-suffocation TUV certified
- Chemical and dust-free
- Machine washable
- Allows for 180 degree head movement
- Doctor approved (over 1,000 doctors approve this)
- It is not readily available
- Expensive than other brands
For now, this is the only baby flat head pillow proven scientifically to reduce pressure on the back of your baby’s head by 50% while increasing support by 80%.
It not only prevents flat head syndrome in babies, it also corrects it. It allows the natural shape of the baby’s head to develop naturally.
- Lightweight and breathable
- Designed with safety in mind
- Toxic-free and hypo-allergenic
- Incredibly soft and gentle
- Machine washable
This cute and safe infant pillow is made for kids from birth to 6 months of age. It prevents and corrects flat head syndrome by using a weight distribution function.
It is made from 100% cotton and has a concave center for preventing and correcting flat head syndrome in babies. Also, it is 100% hypoallergenic with a 3D air mesh filling.
This baby pillow for flat head maintains the temperature and adjusts automatically to the season of the year. It is made with organic materials and safe for newborns.
The concave area of this pillow helps to retain the head of your baby in the center position and prevents it from being positioned on just one side only.
- Organic and hypoallergenic
- Global Textile Standard (GOTS) and Organic Exchange Standard certified
- Patented (US D876127)
- 100% risk-free guarantee
- It has a series of pillars between the top and bottom layer thereby creating space where air can easily flow and circulate. They also provide a soft cushion.
- It is gentle and supportive.
- The concave portion is not very deep
- You have to wait for the pillow to dry after washing before you can use it.
- In the reviews we read, some moms complained that the size of the pillow wasn’t what they expected
- The pillow may change color after washing
This awesome baby flat head pillow was designed by a pediatrician, Dr. Manual Maidenberg and it is also doctor-approved. It is beautifully designed and also popular on Amazon.
It is machine washable and comes in a variety of colors.
Rachel, co-founder and medical practitioner of National TASC LLC, recommends this product for parents, she said: “This pediatrician-approved baby head support is sure to prevent infant flat head. It is made of cotton materials so the baby’s head will still feel comfortable and not sweaty even if in use for a long time.
The patented design distributes the pressure evenly in the skill, preventing the flat head syndrome. The design also helps the baby’s head still move freely and naturally. Overall, this is a good baby pillow to prevent flat head”.
Chris Davies, owner of faunafacts.com has this to say of this baby pillow “I remember when my daughter was born. She was absolutely perfect in every way. But a few weeks after we brought her home, I noticed that her head was starting to flatten out in one spot.
I did some research and learned that this condition, called positional plagiocephaly, is actually quite common in babies. The good news is that there are pillows specifically designed to help prevent flat head syndrome.
After trying out a few different brands, I found that the best baby flat head pillow is the Babymoov Lovenest Plus. This pillow has a firm, but adjustable center panel that provides support for your baby’s head, and the soft, cushiony sides ensure that your baby is comfortable.
Also, the pillow comes with a machine-washable cover, which is a huge plus for me!”
- Easy to clean
- Highly popular on Amazon with great reviews
- Soft and breathable
- Machine washable
- Suitable for kids aged 0 month to 12 months
- It is small in size and you may prefer a larger pillow
This super comfortable and soft baby flat head pillow comes in many animal-shaped designs you can choose from. It is wholly organic and made from 100% cotton.
The natural finish is filled with hypoallergenic polyester to prevent irritation to your baby’s skin. It has a concave center and it is also double sided.
This allows you to flip it either way and provide all the support your little one’s head needs.
- Machine washable
- Double sided concave design
- Highly supportive pillow
- Very soft and made from 100% organic cotton
- Hypoallergenic for sensitive skin
- Not recommended for dryer because it can shrink it
- Hand washing is the preferred method of washing to make it last longer
- The fine hair of the pillow may stick to the fabric
- It is not good for use in warm or hot weather because it can cause sweating
This 3D adorable heart-shaped baby flat head pillow is designed for newborn babies up to 1 year of age.
It was designed by pediatricians to both correct flat head in babies and also support the head and neck during sleep.
Soft cotton fabric covers the slow-rebound foam and it can also prevent flat head syndrome.
- Suitable for kids 0 months to 12 months old
- The exterior is made of soft cotton fabric
- It has comfortable and supportive 3D memory foam
- It can be used in a stroller
- It has 3D memory foam
- You cannot wash it, you can only wipe it clean
- It is small in size and most parents may prefer a larger pillow
- It has a thick pillow case
This amazing baby flat head pillow is adjustable, this means you can adjust the size and comfort. It is a wonderful pillow that grows with your baby.
It is supportive and intuitively designed. You can easily tailor it to your baby’s needs anytime because it is adjustable.
It is designed for correcting flat head syndromes in babies aged 0 to 6 months. After six months, you can use the pillow as neck support and it can also be used in the car.
The interior is made of polyester while the exterior is made of soft cotton. It is also designed in a way that won’t cause irritation to your baby’s skin.
Sarah Graves, the founder of US title loans has this to say of this baby flat head pillow. “This 4-in-1 multipurpose infant pillow is a great option for those who want a pillow that can do just about everything. The four applications of this pillow are nursing, tummy time, travel, and flat head prevention.
It can be used for support while breastfeeding, cradles your baby’s head, and distributes the pressure of lying down evenly to allow a rounded skull to form.
Also, as your kid grows, it can become their favorite car seat and stroller accessory, offering them neck support as they take a rest. The pillow is easy to clean with a machine wash and dry fabric and is certified for utmost quality and safety”.
- It is machine-washable and dry
- It is adjustable and can fit your baby’s head perfectly. It grows with your child
- It is made of soft and breathable material
- It is versatile and can be used in many ways
- It can be used on the floor, on the bouncer, and in a stroller
- It is available in different colors
- It is slightly bulky
- It can’t be used in the crib
This simple apple-shaped donut-styled pillow is designed to prevent and correct flat head syndromes in babies. It disperses pressure from your baby’s head and gives the head and neck the proper support they need thereby encouraging reshaping.
It is made with organic cotton and it is breathable. Also, it also thermos-regulates in all seasons for maximum comfort. It is ergonomically designed and lightweight for easy travels.
- Highly breathable
- Made from organic cotton memory foam
- Thermos-regulated for comfort
- Has a wonderful apple-shaped donut-style
- There is no available information about the washing care but reading from the reviews, some moms said they machine-washed it and then let it air dry.
- Some parents reported hair loss in their babies due to allergic reactions.
This baby flat head pillow offers full head support and has a removable bamboo pillowcase.
It is also made with top-quality BASF memory foam and it is safe for infants. It has a unique molded wedge-like shape.
Also, it comes with an organic and sustainably-created bamboo pillowcase that is easy to clean.
- Has a unique shape for maximum comfort
- Made with top quality BASF memory foam
- It is molded to fit the shape of your baby’s head
- The bamboo cover is removable and machine-washable.
- It is not as versatile as other baby flat head pillow
- You can only wash the pillow case but not the whole pillow
This baby flat head pillow offers great airflow and also comfort and support for your baby. Its organic memory foam is specially made to correct flat head syndrome in babies.
Its soft but firm and donut-style design promotes better airflow and also gives perfect support for your baby’s head and neck.
It is designed for kids aged 0 to 6 months and it quickly corrects flat head syndromes through its soft organic cotton-topped memory foam. It has amazing reviews on Amazon but you can only wash it by hand.
- The memory foam is covered with organic cotton
- It has a beautiful donut style
- Its unique concave hole boosts air flow
- It can be washed by hands
- It is not convenient for moms who prefer to wash using machine
- It has only one style and one color
This wonderful baby flat head pillow is suitable for kids from birth to 1 year of age. It is easy to maintain and it comes with two removable pillowcases that are machine-washable.
It also has a protective inner cover that ensures the pillow stays clean and fresh always. Also, it is made of BASF memory foam which is safe for babies.
It is also ergonomically designed to offer comfort and support to your baby during sleep and it also makes upkeep extremely easy for moms.
In terms of color, it is not very exciting to look at, but its gender-neutral color will blend in with any nursery theme.
Its wonderful compact size is big enough to handle any baby’s head.
- It has a protective inner cover
- It can be used from birth to 1 year
- It comes with two removable and machine washable covers
- The memory foam is structured to comfortably support the head
- It has only one style and color
This baby flat head pillow is made from 100% organic cotton. It even comes with an extra gift making it a perfect gift for a baby shower.
This baby pillow is designed by pediatricians and suitable for kids from birth up to 14 months old. It is made from an all-natural fabric and it won’t snag your baby’s hair while he/she is sleeping on it.
Unlike other baby pillows that are not breathable thereby making the baby’s head warm, the bliss n baby head shaping pillow is made from 100% breathable material which keeps your baby comfortable while sleeping on their back.
It also reduces the risks of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) due to its super lightweight and 3D-air permeable mesh fabric. It is durable, can last long, and machine washable.
Also, it can easily fit into a diaper bag due to its small rectangular shape.
- Lightweight and highly portable
- Satisfaction guarantee
- There are bigger sizes to accommodate bigger babies (New)
- Only one design, no choice of print
- The pillow is small, it is only 12 inches wide
This amazing baby flat head pillow is ideal for moms who travel a lot with their little ones. It has a cute and simple design, it is heart-shaped with a light gray color that will match any nursery theme.
This baby pillow is pediatrician-designed and made from quality soft and breathable fabric. It is also a great travel pillow because of its super lightweight. It is machine washable.
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee
- It is pediatrician-designed
- It is machine washable
- It has a small size and may not be comfortable for bigger babies
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) On Baby Flat Head Pillow
What is flat head syndrome?
Flat head syndrome are flat spots on one side of the back of a baby’s skull. It is a very common condition and it can be corrected. A statistic/study revealed that almost 50% of babies aged 7 to 12 weeks old are affected by this condition.
It is not a condition to worry about because as your baby grows, it would correct itself. It also has no negative impact on the development of the brain in the affected child.
What causes flat head syndrome?
Placing babies to sleep on their backs always can cause it. A newborn baby’s head is very malleable and soft. Placing the head to sleep on the same spot every night on a firm mattress can cause positional flat head.
In very rare cases, it can be inherited.
Vaginal deliveries can also cause flat head due to the pressure from the birth canal. But the shape of the baby’s head will look normal after six weeks.
When should I worry about my baby’s flat head syndrome?
You should worry about your baby’s flat head if after doing everything to correct it, it has not been corrected after six weeks. If it reaches two months and you don’t see any improvement, you should see a doctor ASAP.
After two months, most pediatricians will recommend a baby flat head helmet.
Can a pillow fix baby flat head?
Yes, it can. In fact, a flat head syndrome can correct on its own without any intervention but many parents hasten the process by using a baby flat head pillow which also helps in correcting it.
These pillows work by shaping your baby’s skull and also by relieving the pressure on the muscles of the head and neck.
From reading the product reviews of the baby flat head pillows on our list, a lot of parents saw impressive results in just a few weeks and they were very happy with the shape of their baby’s head.
What if a baby flat head pillow doesn’t work for my baby?
In cases where a baby flat head pillow didn’t give results after 2 months of use, it is regarded as deformational plagiocephaly and pediatricians recommend baby head helmets which are expensive and quite uncomfortable.
They cost around $3,000 and are rarely covered by medical insurance. And the baby will have to wear the helmet for 23 hours every day for 3 months.
This is why baby flat head pillows are the first option for most parents and rarely do they not give results. It is only in a few cases that helmets are used.
And pillows are also much more comfortable for the babies than the helmets.
Being a parent can be an overwhelming task and even more when there is an issue like baby flat head.
However, this post has information and the best pillows that will help you correct and prevent this condition thereby making the parenting journey easier for you.
You might also like: